Foot Orthoses - Shoe Inserts
Foot orthoses is comprised of a specially fitted insert or footbed to a shoe. Also commonly referred to as "Orthotics" these orthoses provide support for the foot by distributing pressure or realigning foot joints while standing, walking or running. As such they are often used by athletes to relieve symptoms of a variety of soft tissue inflammatory conditions like plantar fasciitis. They may also be used in conjunction with properly fitted orthopedic footwear in the prevention of foot ulcers in the at risk diabetic foot. Prescription foot orthoses also help prevent future problems from occurring in the foot and lower extremity by reducing abnormal or pathological forces acting on the foot and lower extremity. Doctors prescribe two main types of prescription foot orthoses for their patients, accommodative orthoses and functional foot orthoses. Both types of prescription foot orthoses are used to correct the foot position of the patient so that the pain in their foot or lower extremity will improve so that normal activities can be resumed without pain.
An ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) is an orthosis or brace (usually plastic) that surrounds the ankle and at least part of the foot. AFOs are externally applied and intended to control position and motion of the ankle, compensate for weakness, or correct deformities. They control the ankle directly, and can be designed to control the knee joint indirectly as well. AFOs are commonly used in the treatment of disorders affecting muscle function such as stroke, spinal cord injury, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, polio, multiple sclerosis and peripheral neuropathy. They are also used to immobilize the ankle and lower leg in the presence of arthritis or fracture, and to correct foot drop. For more information about AFO foot support Contact us For more information about diabetic shoes and/or shoe inserts click here.
At the University of Toledo we are developing the next generation Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) to assist drop-foot patients. We invite you to participate in this study by providing information on your current foot-drop or related condition. Your answers will help us in developing better assistive devices.This Thermoplastic AFO features a custom-made design. Available in three profile designs [Posterior Leaf Spring (PLS), articulating or Solid Ankle], the Thermoplastic AFO supports, assists and controls the joints of the foot and ankle.
We value your honest opinions. This questionnaire will take only a few minutes. We treat all information you provide in response to this questionnaire strictly confidential! Please print this questionnaire and then mail the completed questionnaire to 419 Tomahawk Dr Maumee, OH 43537 1. Tell us about your current conditions of drop foot in a couple of sentences. Please mention the cause of your condition. 2. What device do you currently use to resolve this issue? Where did you get your device?
3. The current AFO works very well: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 4. The current AFO is very comfortable: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 5. You are very satisfied with the current AFO: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 6. You are able to achieve normal ankle motion with the current AFO: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 7. Your current AFO can adopt different walking speeds: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 8. Natural walking patterns can be easily achieved with the current AFO: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree
9. You can easily climb stairs with your current AFO: strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 10. Your insurance company paid for your current AFO:
yes paid 1 2 3 4 5 did not pay 11. How many hours per day do you wear your current AFO? Are there any situations where you prefer not to wear the AFO? If so what is the reason? 12. Have you ever encountered any problems with the current AFO? If so, please specify what the problem is and what you do to resolve the problem. Complete this section (questions 13-18) ONLY IF you answered YES to the previous question.
13. It is very easy to resolve problems caused by the AFO. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree
14. You are the only one involved in resolving the problem. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree
15. You feel stressed and anxious once there is a problem. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 16. You feel embarrassed to ask others for help once there is a problem. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 17. You feel frustrated when your natural walking pattern is not achieved. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 18. You feel that there is a strong need to improve the current AFO. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 19. Have you ever tried other AFOs than your current one? If so, which ones did you try and please tell us about your experience with these AFOs. 20.What do you wish that you could do that currently isn’t possible or practical? 21. Your life would be better if a normal walking pattern is achieved. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 22. The ankle motion provided by your AFO is not satisfying at all. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 23. You hope there is an improved AFO that is available to you. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 24. You are willing to spend out of pocket money on an improved AFO? strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 25. If so, please specify the amount in US $ 26. You wish a more durable AFO. strongly agree 1 2 3 4 5 strongly disagree 27. In your opinion, what is the most important characteristic the improved AFO should include and why? What would be the deciding factor on whether you would invest in a new AFO or not? 28. Please feel free to provide any additional comments or suggestions:
We would like to collect some personal information for our statistics. WE TREAT ALL INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE IN RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTIONNAIRE STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL! HOWEVER, PLEASE PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY IF YOU WANT TO SHARE THEM WITH US! 29. Your age 30. Your gender 31. Where do you live (country, state, or city) 32. How many years have you suffered from drop foot? 33. The reasons for your suffering:
FIRST OF ALL WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION! IF YOU LIKE TO GET IN CONTACT WITH US PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL US OR SEND US AN E-MAIL. WE APPRICIATE YOUR INSIGHT VIEW THAT WILL HELP US UNDERSTANDING YOUR WISHES AND NEEDS.